SATURDAY 24 JANUARY 2009

Barrie Corlson’s

Artillery

FIELD GUNS, NAVAL GUNS &

SEIGE EQUIPMENT IN MODELS

A pocket exhibition for Penicuik Community Development Trust

in the Cowan Institute, Penicuik Town Hall Saturday 24 January 2009

the late Barrie Corlson takes his watch on the bridge at Penicuik Town Hall

 

 

 

 

ROMAN BALLISTA

 

1565 MALTA : THE GREAT SEIGE

 

1628 spanish siege gun

 

SEIGE GUN 17th CENTURY

Trough at rear would be filled with local sand, soil or stones as ballast to reduce recoil

 

1695 Namur French Seige Gun : Louis xiv   

18th century carriage mounted siege gun

 

.

SHORE BATTERY : DOVER CASTLE

 

 

18th century 12-pounder Coastal battery

 

 

 

Naval section:

 

 

 

18th cent British Naval 32-pounder, Lower Deck

 

 

18th cent British Naval long 12-pounder, upper Deck

British 12 inch Naval MORTAR AS 

USED ON BOMB KETCHES: 18th centURY

 

 

 

AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 1861

FRENCH 1890 75mm

 

BRITISH 1899 13 POUNDER : BOER WAR

 

1914-18 BRITISH 18 POUNDERS

1914-18 BRITISH 18 POUNDERS

 

 

 

1941-1945 British 7.2 Howitzer

 

 

 

SATURDAY 24 JANUARY 2009

Artillery

FIELD GUNS, NAVAL GUNS &

SEIGE EQUIPMENT IN MODELS

 

OTHER SATURDAY DISPLAYS IN THE COWAN INSTITUTE: PENICUIK TOWN HALL

 

 STOP PRESS 2010 HELP US SAVE JACKSON STREET SCHOOL

 

Penicuik Saturday Museum in the Town Hall:

 Penicuik exhibitions

A few of the 100 or so Penicuik Open House weekly displays to date

 

KITTY FYFFE’S POSTCARDS

HEAT & LIGHT

OLD TOOLS

POSTERS

CAMERAS

OLD BOTTLES

SHOES & BOOTS

NEWS

HATS

U3A

ART

THE COWAN PAPER ADVERTISEMENTS OF 1944

FIFTY YEARS OF CUIKEN SCHOOL

PENICUIK’S CLYDESDALE BANK

PENICUIK INVESTORS IN THE US

LINEN

GAMES

TEDDY BEARS

MODEL BOATS

ALPINE FLOWERS

SIGNWRITING

HANDBAGS

ARTILLERY

SCOUTING

PENICUIK CO-OP

DISCOVERY AWARDS

CARNETHY HILL RACE

JACKSON STREET SCHOOL

SALTIRE HOUSING EXHIBITION

ROSLIN & THE STORY OF BOVRIL

THE FILMS OF ALFRED HITCHCOCK

DAME MURIEL SPARK: Scottish by formation

childrens book illustration of GERMANO OVANI

Galashiels Co-operators & the ideas of William King

IMAGES OF ESKBRIDGE  from Jim Neil’s collection

CORNBANK:  Penicuik’s Radburn estate from the 1960s

PENICUIK RAILWAY and its designer THOMAS BOUCH

Penicuik’s Concorde Designer  JAMES ARNOT HAMILTON

Penicuik’s International Photographer      ALBERT WATSON

Carlops’ International City Planner            THOMAS ADAMS

General MACZEK & the GREAT POLISH MAP of SCOTLAND

 

 

 

ALEXANDER COWAN’S INSTITUTE

 illustrated by his great-great-great grandson Robin Macfarlan

 

The Cowan Institute -with library, halls and recreation rooms- was given to the people of Penicuik by the will of Alexander Cowan, papermaker. Operated for most of its life by the Cowan Trust, it was passed in 1960 to local management under the care of the Burgh of Penicuik.

On local government reorganisation in the mid 1970s the Burgh’s assets became vested in Midlothian Council, including the Cowan Institute and the endowments for social facilities the earlier Trust had provided.  Penicuik Community Development Trust was formed by public concern for the fate of the building after reports of its possible sale in 2005.

The Trust is a registered charity (SC037990) run and entirely supported by the efforts of Penicuik people, and hires space in the Institute to operate an Open House with displays every Saturday throughout the year, and a fortnightly Cinema on Sunday evenings.  It also works with the locally-run charitable bodies operating Penicuik’s Leisure Centre at Ladywood and the Penicuik Community Arts Centre in West Street.