The 1900 plant list from

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

PENICUIK COMMUNITY FOOD PROJECT RESTORING THE LOST GARDEN

An initiative of the Penicuik Community Development Trust

FEBRUARY 2012: THE PROJECT BEGINS

In February 2012, after three years of negotiations with the owners, the Trust began a long-term lease on the great brick-built Penicuik Estate Walled Garden. It’s the first step in what we see as a 50 year project for food production and garden restoration.

 

This page illustrates a 1900 plantlist inventory from the Lost Garden

For the history of the Lost Garden see http://www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/lostgardenstory

For lots of images of the Lost Garden see http://www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/lostgarden

For progress with the restoration see www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/lostgardenlatest see also our earlier project website www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/food

 

CENTRAL CONSERVATORY OF THE LOST GARDEN

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

In January 1900, a few months after the disastrous fire which destroyed Penicuik House, the Penicuik Estate Trustees arranged for the terms of lease of the Garden to be advertised.  An arrangement was drawn up with William Angus in February of that year. Inventories are believed to have listed all the plants and equipment the garden contained.  This “A to P” fragment of a list seems to be for the non-fruit tender plants in the main central Conservatory.

 

Lists plants, equipment etc. with ‘price arranged’

A sample of some of the plants with the number of each and modern illustrations:

2. Abelia Floribund

1. Abutilon Darwinii

6. Abutilon Darwinii tesselatum

1. Abutilon Darwinii Alba

 1. Acacia Armata

6. Agapanthus Umbellatus

11. Aralia Sieboldii

34. Aspidistra Lurida Variegatum

18. Azalea Indica Varieties

3. Aloe Americana

1. Aloe Americana Variegatum

18. Begonias Varieties

18. Amarylis Varieties

80. Begonias Tuberous bulbs

1. Boronia Drummondii

290. Chrysanthimums 75 Varieties

14. Cytius Racemosus

3. Correa Cardinalia

3. Coronilla Glauca

40. Campania Pendulum

11. Calla Ethiopica

14. Cereus Varieties

4. Curculiza Recurvata

2. Coprosma Baueriana Variegata

20 Dracoena Bruantil

3. Diosma Gracilis

10. Deutzia Gracilis

16. Euonymus Japonica Variegatum

1. Eugenia Ligni

1. Erythrima Crista Galli

60. Fushias Varieties

18. Farfugium Grand Argentium

10. Grass Banbusa Fortund (Arunc V)

11. Hydrangea Paniculata Alba

3. Hydrangea Varieties

2. Hedychium Gardnerianum

6. Heaths

12. Imantophyllum Miniatum

28. Isolepis Gracilis

1. Kennedya Ovata Purpurae

10. Libonia Floribunda

1. Lonicera Aurea Reticulata

8. Myrtus Communis Variegata

8. Myrtus Communis Romana

6. Myrtus Communis Tarentina

20. Marguerites

2. Nerum Oleander Album.

19. Ophiopogon Jaburan

6. Phormium Tenax Variegatum

5. Phormium Tenax

 

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

 

 

LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK: STOVEHOUSE FRUIT STORE

 

 

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK: GRAND STAIRCASE

 

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

 

The list was prepared only months after the darkest day for the estate in 1899 while the house and grounds were being tenanted under lease to the prominent Edinburgh legal family of R. B. Ranken W.S. 

 

On 16th June 1899 an outbreak of  fire had completely gutted Penicuik House.

 

Next day, under the headlines DESTRUCTIVE FIRE AT PENICUIK. HISTORIC HOUSE BURNED, the Dundee Telegraph had described the scene to its readers:

Penicuik House, so well known for its Ossian Hall, was destroyed by fire yesterday. About 1 o'clock the butler saw smoke issuing from the roof, and the alarm was at once given. Mr Charles Buchanan, the estate factor, was early on the spot, and caused the house hose to be directed on to a bedroom in the north-east corner of the building on the top flat, where the fire was first noticed. Mr Buchanan promptly sent messengers to Penicuik and Glencorse Barracks, and telegraphed to Edinburgh for assistance. By two o'clock Penicuik Fire Brigade, shortly afterwards followed by the steamer from Valleyfield Mills, accompanied by Mr Alexander Cowan and Mr R. C. Cowan, and a large number of their workmen, and the fire picket of the Royal Scots, Glencorse Barracks, about 70 in number, under Captain H. E. P. Nash and Sergeant-Major Nash, appeared on the scene.   Vigorous efforts were made to extinguish the fire, and at three o'clock a detachment of the Edinburgh Fire Brigade, under Firemaster Pordage, arrived, and did excellent work, but with a strong east wind blowing the fire was carried rapidly from room to room, and at six o'clock last night the whole building was gutted except the basement. Special efforts were made to save the Ossian Hall, with its rich mural decorations by Runciman, and the charter room. The fate of the former was watched with deep regret by a large number of the townspeople, and about four o'clock the roof on which the valuable painting was gave way with a crash. The charter room is understood to have withstood the flames, as it is strongly built with brick. Nearly all the furniture and other valuables were saved by the many willing helpers, which included clergymen and ladies and gentlemen in the locality. Penicuik house, the property of Sir George Clerk, Bart, of Penicuik, was in the occupancy of Mr Ranken, W.S., Edinburgh, and was one of the most imposing mansion-houses in the county. The central portion was designed and built in 1761 by Sir James Clerk, the third Baronet, after his return from a long residence in Italy. The two wings were erected in 1857, and the whole ground covered is 180 feet by 78. The central portion is three storeys in height, while the wings are four storeys high. The Ossian decorations, by Alexander Runciman, in the drawing-room were familiar to all students of decorative art, while the adornment by the same artist of one of the cupolas surmounting the staircase with scenes from the life of Queen Margaret was remarkable for its richness of tone and dramatic power of illustration. The building is believed to be insured. It is generally believed the fire originated through the overheating of the chimney.

THE STABLES: CONVERTED FOR FAMILY USE IN 1902 AFTER THE FIRE IN THE MAIN HOUSE

Mr and Mrs Ranken had returned to their house the next day leaving the estate factor Charles Buchanan to sort through the ruin and to superintend the removal of the salvaged contents to the stables nearby. For a brief time in 1900 after the Garden had been leased it seemed the house might be rebuilt.  Local builder James Tait offered to rebuild the house and finish it, apart from the top floor, for as little as £4,500.  The insurance company refused to pay the full sum for which the house had been covered, on the grounds that the walls still stood. and without the insurance even Tait’s estimate was beyond the means of Sir George.   Lady Clerk had come up to Scotland immediately after the fire to take charge of the family's affairs. She decided to convert the stables including the coach house, brew house and bakery to become the main family accommodation in 1902.  James Tait was employed for the conversion. 

THE LOST GARDEN GLASSHOUSES LAST A CENTURY FROM LATE 1870s TO LATE 1970s

 

Steps had already been taken to ensure that the magnificent walled Garden, “among the best in the country”, would pay its way  as a commercial enterprise. The Trustees could save on employment costs by leasing the Garden commercially subject to conditions as a going concern.  In 1900 a lease was drawn up with William Angus and an inventory prepared of all the plants under cultivation. This elusive inventory, once listed in the National Archives of Scotland as GD 18/1493/1, is not currently available.  We are trying to track it down (the extract given above was recorded by an earlier researcher in 1999).  The list of plants grown and equipment used in the garden was part of the conditions of the let.  The list reflected the horticultural fashions of the time and reportedly included various begonias, azaleas and no less than 75 different varieties of chrysanthemum.

IN 1900 THE WORLD LOVED CHRYSANTHEMUMS & PIET MONDRIAN BEGAN TO PAINT THEM

 

William Angus’s early advertising in the Edinburgh Evening News confirms that the garden was already well stocked with Japanese Azaleas, though Portugal Laurels are more of a feature of the Lost Garden today.  Through 1902-3 the newspaper also shows Angus’s constant difficulty in obtaining strong, willing , cheap manpower –he placed regular ads for sturdy lads to drive the van (presumably horse-drawn; a motor van would have been mentioned) and to help with work in the Garden.

 

 

THE LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK

some of the pictures on this and companion pages are from collections of Anna Dorward, David Wilson, Kitty Fyffe, Marianne Cortes, Robert Clerk, Roger Kelly, Sutherland Macivor

 

Find out more about Penicuik Trust projects at the weekly Open House in Penicuik Town Hall

On-the-spot exhibitions, on-the-spot hands-on crafts sessions for kids and adults, onsite visits and more…

 

Penicuik Community Development Trust is responsible for the Lost Garden of Penicuik, Penicuik Food Project, Penicuik Open House, Penicuik Cinema and the Bankmill Project. The Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland with company number 380626 and OSCR charity number SC O37990 –Directors Roger Kelly (chair), Roger Hipkin (secretary 20A John St. Penicuik EH26 8A ), Jane MacKintosh (treasurer) forming part of a Managing committee with Bill Fearnley, Caroline Maciver, Chantal Geoghegan, Chris Langdale, Dave Stokes, Doreen Gillon, Jane Kelly, Marianne Cortes, Mose Hutchinson, Penny Wooding, Simon Fraser, Ulla Hipkin, elected annually at the Trust's AGM.   Paid-up Membership of over 240;  Patrons: Ian Macdougall, Gerda Stevenson, Colonel Edward Cowan. Trust official Website www.penicuikcdt.org.uk Bank Mill website: www.bankmill.co.uk The Trust is a Member of Development Trusts Association Scotland (DTAS) takes part in Doors Open Day, and works with Penicuik Community Council, Midlothian Council, Midlothian Voluntary Action, the Midlothian Growing Ideas Partnership (including Midlothian Garden Services, Mayfield & Easthouses Development Trust, and other garden and food projects in Midlothian associated with the Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens), and the Mapa Scotland restoration of the Great Polish Map of Scotland at Eddleston, and supported the papemaking tercentenary led by Penicuik Historical Society.  There are personal and mutually supportive links with Penicuik Community, Sport & Leisure Foundation, Penicuik Community Arts Association, the Penicuik House Project, the Scottish Civic Trust and the Saltire Society, with community groups and trusts in Aberfeldy, Broughty Ferry, Gorebridge and Moffat, with Penicuik’s twin town at  L’Isle-sur-la Sorgue , Vaucluse, Provence, with Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Quebec and with the Papeterie St-Armand in Montreal.  Although sharing supportive links the Penicuik Community Development Trust has an entirely separate origin, history and purpose from the Penicuik House Preservation Trust which is restoring Penicuik House and some of the other Policies through its Penicuik House Project.

 

WEBSITE LINKS:

PICTURES OF THE LOST GARDEN

LOST GARDEN LATEST

 

STORY OF THE LOST GARDEN

–how the Lost Garden of Penicuik came to happen

 

www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/food

–how the Penicuik Food Project in the Lost Garden came to happen

 

PENICUIK SATURDAY ORGANIC & FAIRTRADE MARKET

–entirely non-profit and run by local volunteers since 1990

TAKING ON THE PRESS

 –ideas for Pen-Y-Coe Press & Old Post Office, Bridge Street Penicuik 

BANK MILL PROJECT LATEST

Campaign to restore General Maczek’s GREAT POLISH MAP OF SCOTLAND

PENICUIK HOUSE PRESERVATION TRUST

 

PICTURES OF BIELD COMMUNITY WALLED GARDEN, PERTHSHIRE

 

PILLAR AND MOON : THE GRAND ENTRANCE TO NOWHERE

 

Penicuik Community Development Trust

 Saturday Open House in the Town Hall:

Some of the 100 or so Penicuik Open House weekly displays

KITTY FYFFE’S POSTCARDS

PENICUIK CO-OP

HEAT & LIGHT

OLD TOOLS

TOM ADAMS TOWN PLANNER FROM CARLOPS TO NEW YORK

ROBERT NASMYTH AND PENICUIK’S CORNBANK DESIGN

THE COWAN PAPER ADVERTISEMENTS OF 1944

JOHN DENNIS AND THE ESKBRIDGE BRICKWORKS

THE COWAN ARTISTS OF 1944

DEMOLITION OF VALLEYFIELD MILL IN 1980

 

PENICUIK COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TRUST a message from the chair,  25 April 2012

The Lost Garden of Penicuik

Penicuik’s Food Project and the restoration of Penicuik’s Upper Walled Garden is now under way –we make a tour of the site every first Sunday of the month (meet in the Penicuik House Estate carpark on the road to Carlops at 2pm) and there are regular workdays for all ages.  Working in the garden is tremendously satisfying and helping to move this ambitious project forward gives a real sense of achievement.    Find out the latest news of the Lost Garden regularly at our special page www.makers.org.uk/penicuik/lostgardenlatest  You can also contact roger@kosmoid.net, ring Penicuik 677854 for details about access, workparties and plans, talk to us at the Town Hall Open House (see below) or at the volunteer organic food market every Saturday morning at Valleyfield House 17 High Street where East Coast Organic produce from Haddington is available till the walled garden comes on stream, plus artisan bread from Penicuik’s local Breadshare bakery.

Saturday Open House is the Trust’s free drop-in community cafe with a warm friendly welcome and good home baking.  It’s open every week from 10 am to 2 pm in Penicuik Town Hall, with regular displays on the Lost Garden and Food Project, Trust ideas for premises in the Town Centre, and more exhibitions of Penicuik Greats like photographer Albert Watson.  Drop in and find up what’s going on in Penicuik: local groups are always welcome to come in and set up a stall.

Penicuik’s Weekly Cinema in the Town Hall continues on Sunday nights with Youth Choice team selection Aliens on 29 April, the new Isle of Man TT classic Closer to the Edge on 6 May, this year’s Best Picture, The Artist, on 14 May,  Youth Choice animation My Neighbour Totoro on 20 May, gaelic feature Seachd The Inaccessible Pinnacle on 27 May, youth choice animation Howls Moving Castle (2005) with Christian Bale and Jean Simmons on 3 June, Ben Kingsley in Gandhi on 10 June and youth classic Into the Wild (2007) on 17 June. We’re always looking for helpers young and old for our projection and front of house teams, and erectors and dismantlers for the stage-sized big screen in the upper hall each week: email Chris (cglangdale@hotmail.co.uk ) or Dave (trikindave@live.co.uk) or Daniel Bagrie for Youth Choice or see us in the town hall.

Annual General Meeting: join us in the Town Hall at 7.30 on Wednesday 30 May for Penicuik Community Development Trust AGM.  The Trust is people like you determined to keep our town alive and build real assets for the future.  Where there’s a will there will always be a way.