Come to our Annual General Meeting at Barony Castle Hotel, Eddleston EH45 8QW
Campaign to restore
GREAT POLISH MAP OF
This special exhibition was shown at Penicuik Community Development Trust’s weekly Open House in the Cowan Institute, Penicuik Town Hall on Saturday 19 July 2008, repeated there on Saturday 9 August 2008, and shown at the location of the Great Map in Eddleston at the Barony Castle Open Day on Sunday 7 September 2008. .
Campaign to restore
GREAT POLISH MAP OF
Find out about this local treasure –and the man behind it
the colours shared by
(March 31, 1892 – December 11, 1994)
was the most accomplished Polish tank commander of the Second World War. A veteran of the First World War. the Polish-Ukrainian and Polish-Bolshevik Wars, he commanded Poland's only major armoured formation during the September 1939 campaign, led a Polish armoured formation in France in 1940, and was commander of the famous First Polish Armoured Division, and later of the First Polish Army Corps under Allied Command in 1942–1945.
Of Croatian extraction, Stanisław Władysław Maczek was born in Lwów in 1892 in Austro-Hungarian Galicia. Graduating from grammar school at Drohobycz he attended the philosophy faculty of Lwów University where he studied Polish literature and language. After the outbreak of the Great War, Maczek interrupted his studies hoping to join Piłsudski's Polish Legions, but instead was drafted into the Austro-Hungarian Army. Assigned to the Italian front, he rose to become the only Polish battalion commander in Austria-Hungary's Alpine regiments. At the war’s end he joined the Polish Army and took part in its later Ukranian and Bolshevik campaigns. His experience in speedy movement and rapid response led -after military college, colonelship and a series of infantry commands- to his taking charge of Poland’s first fully motorised formation during the 1938 Munich crisis.
When Poland was attacked in force in 1939 Maczek led the only Polish units not to lose a single battle. His forces made a dogged defence under Blitzkreig attack but these efforts became eclipsed when Russia invaded from the rear.
Generals Guderian and Krivoshein
join as the two armies celebrate
Appreciated by his superiors and respected by enemy commanders, Maczek was loved by his soldiers, who called him “Baca”, a Galician name for a shepherd like the Scots gaelic “Buachaille”. Ordered to take his brigade over the Hungarian border, he made his way to lead some of the Polish forces in France at the end of 1939, but senior French commanders didn’t even open Maczek’s detailed reports describing the Blitzkreig tactics they should prepare for.
After the fall of France Maczek and many of his men made their way through Africa and Portugal to London, and formed the nucleus of a Polish armoured unit based in Scotland for four years. Trained at Blairgowrie and equipped with the latest Churchill and Sherman tanks, the Poles took up the defence of the Scottish shoreline between Montrose and Dundee.
In July 1944, after more tank training in East Anglia, the division transferred to Normandy, attached to the First Canadian Army. Maczek’s forces, and his clear appreciation of geography and landform (which he freely shared with his allies) contributed decisively to resolving Allied difficulties in the Battle of Falaise.
MACZEK AND MONTGOMERY
MACZEK AND EISENHOWER
General Maczek's Division continued to spearhead the Allied drive across the battlefields of France, liberating Amiens and St Omer, then in Belgium securing Ypres, Roulers and Terneuzen. Into the Netherlands, in Brabant, Maczek’s forces carefully flanked Breda and entered without damage. Here the Polish forces were to be hailed as heroes and here many of them were subsequently buried.
The Division pushed on to Germany, capturing the port of Wilhelmshaven and accepting surrender of the garrison and 200 navy ships. After Germany capitulated, General Maczek went on to become commanding officer of all Polish forces in the United Kingdom until demobilization in 1947.
General Maczek and Mayor Van Slobbe watch
a march-past of Polish troops in the grounds of Chassé
Twenty years after the liberation of Breda General Maczek stands
among the graves of his fellow-countrymen in
Campaign to restore
GREAT POLISH MAP OF
Once the Black Barony Hotel and former home of the Murrays of Elibank
- the dormer windows are decorated with Murray and Polish insignia
Great Polish Map of Scotland stands in the grounds of
had always been appreciative of geography and landform and the military use of
contour maps and models. He had been
shown an impressive outdoor map of land and water in the
Plaque at the door of General Maczek’s house In Arden Street, Edinburgh
Set in the open air in the
Peeblesshire landscape at Eddleston, General Maczek and his companions conceived The Great Polish Map of
Scotland as a permanent three-dimensional reminder of
lived long, taking his duty of care for his people as seriously as he had
always done. He died in 1994 in
Over the years, the great
outdoor map became stagnant and decayed. Now, after these long years of
dereliction, and as a first step towards what we hope can become a broadly
based effort for restoration, it has been drained and cleared of undergrowth by
LISMORE –lost above the waterline
MORVERN –underwater erosion
Moss, erosion, exposed underlying bricks
LEWIS AND SKYE
LOOKING FOR A RIVER SOURCE
Roger Kelly, David Cameron and Elizabeth Laudenslager acknowledge the help of Steven Sweeny, Deputy General Manager, Barony Castle following their visit to the Great Map on 21 May 2008.
The project was the subject of this special exhibition at Penicuik Community Development Trust’s weekly Open House in the Cowan Institute, Penicuik Town Hall on Saturday 19 July 2008, repeated on Saturday 9 August 2008, and shown at the Barony Castle Open Day in Eddleston on Sunday 7 September 2008.
As a result of these exhibitions,
THE GREAT POLISH
The campaign to restore the Great
Map was begun in 2008 by a small group including Roger Kelly (convener of the
Royal Town Planning Institute in Scotland and member of the Saltire Society Council);
David Cameron (former convener of the Saltire Society and Edinburgh’s former
Deputy City Planner, who worked with the late Kazimierz
Trafas on urban restoration in Cracow);
Edinburgh’s former Director of Economic Development; Keith Burns (Hydraulic
engineer with a long-term interest in the Map); and Alastair
Nimmo (Civil engineer and concrete specialist). A
meeting to review and report progress to Janusz Szewczuk (one of the Great Map’s surviving
cartographer-builders) was called by Keith Burns at Hillend
on Tuesday 11 August 2009 with Roger Kelly, Barbara Conboy,
David Cameron, Dave Peck, Nick Macdonald and James Barton. A study group on
Saturday 12 September 2009 at Barony Castle, onsite at the water intake and at
the Great Map itself was hosted by George Futers with
Keith Burns, Roger Kelly, David Cameron, Anne Hardie,
Barbara Conboy, Krzysztof Chuchra, Krystyna Szumelukowa, Dave Peck, Nigel Rose, Jim Barton and Adam
Ward. A further meeting was held at
of Elibank who once lived at
The Great Map was mentioned in the Scottish Planner of June 2008 and featured in Cairt –newsletter of the Scottish Maps Forum.
COWAN INSTITUTE :
ALSO SHOWN FOR THE
FIRST TIME AT THE OPEN HOUSE ON
Proud supporters of the Mapa Scotland Project:
Penicuik Community Development Trust presents
PENICUIK CINEMA in
Krzysztof Kieslowski’s THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE (La double vie de Véronique / Podwójne życie Weroniki)
Irene Jacob music by Zbigniew Preisner Cert 15 92 mins 1991
Amazing music, stunning cinematography and a wonderful performance by Irene Jacob. One of the great films that explores the idea of the soul - and for many, one of the best films of all time. Let Kieslowski invoke the metaphysical mysterious essence of our human spirit. Enjoy his beautiful film.
IMDb All viewers average rate 8.0, under 18s average rate 8.2 (both out of 10)
Entry Ł4: refreshments available: doors open
Find out more about Penicuik Trust projects at the weekly Open House in Penicuik Town Hall
On-the-spot exhibitions, on-the-spot hands-on crafts sessions for kids and adults, onsite visits and more…
Penicuik Community Development Trust is a very active
self-supporting voluntary community organization. It runs its own town centre
retail and service businesses, a weekly cinema, a weekly open house and café,
and is restoring the magnificent
The Trust is responsible for the Lost Garden of
Penicuik (incorporating Penicuik’s Food Project), Penicuik
Saturday Open House, Penicuik Cinema, the Bankmill
Project, Pen-y-coe Press and Old Post Office and Penicuik Vaults singers. Launched at a public meeting in March 2005,
The Trust is a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in