Milestones in the life of the
Great Polish Map of Scotland
-the campaign to restore the
Great Polish Map of Scotland
BARONY CASTLE: HOME OF THE
This page explores some of the
background to the Great Map of Scotland,
including the extensive military use of
relief models in the Second World War
and their role as major public
attractions in the years that followed
-and touches on Poland and Scotland in the years of the Map’s
It is copied from Roger Kelly’s webpage at www.makers.org.uk/place/milestones
Here is the place later chosen for the Great
Map of Scotland: the South Lawn putting green at Black Barony Hotel,
Eddleston. The moment captured in this
image is at the end of April 1940. Germany’s invasion of Denmark has been completed and the last ports of Norway were soon to fall. At this time the invasion of France and the Low Countries was still in the immediate future. A month or two later, after the fall of
France, the first Polish forces arrived in Scotland, and in due course they
were to use the Black Barony buildings and site as a wartime training
Two British military leaders, Colin Gubbins and Bernard Montgomery, both at this time still
relatively junior, were to be intimately involved with the Polish forces.
Colin Gubbins’ child’s-eye
view of the landscape of coast and mountain beside his grandparents’ house on Mull
Colin McVean Gubbins was a grandson of the Cowan Penicuik
papermaking family, and grew up at the kilted knee of his grandfather Colin McVean who’d
supervised the Japanese Empire’s first geographic surveys from 1869 onwards.
His uncle Dondo McVean had served in the Himalayas with Rattrays Sikhs and had been Winston
Churchill’s tentmate in the Malakand Field Force. Bold, practical, and far-thinking, Colin
Gubbins acted as British military liaison with Polish Forces, first in Poland at the time of the German invasion, then in
France and in the operations to defend Norway. In
the summer of 1940 he was given the task of preparing the home territory for
invasion, finding places for exiled army (and sometimes exiled naval and
airforce personnel), and making plans for deploying irregular forces on home
territory all over Britain for last-ditch defence. Later in the war Gubbins was to develop these
ideas as Head of the Special Operations Executive, co-ordinating work across Europe behind enemy lines.
World War II saw increasing use of
increasingly sophisticated terrain models.
The models were hand crafted by enlisted sculptors, architects, stage
designers and artists using all sorts of basic materials. As Pearson records and illustrates
, “model-making materials varied according to the specific location.
The model makers in Cairo used “mangarieh,” a mixture of minced
newspaper, local plaster, and glue. A photo-skin was created by mosaicing
re-scaled photographs of the area and pasting the photo-skin to the model,
using road intersections or other common reference points for registration. The
availability and close scrutiny of aerial photography using stereoscopes was an
essential part of the more detailed stages in the modelling process. Maps were
used for reference to locate airfields, railways, and roads before the model
was finished. In order to promote
realism and provide personnel with portable visual references while conducting
operations, the terrain models were sometimes illuminated and then photographed
to replicate as closely as possible the light that would exist at the time of
the planned operation. Aircrews could thus be briefed with photographs taken
from above the model, whereas Commandos would be shown photographs of the model
as if viewed from the sea.”.
Alastair W. Pearson: Allied
Military Model Making
during World War II –in Cartography and Geographic
Information Science, Vol. 29, No. 3, 2002, pp. 227-241
From strategic relief maps at 1:100,000 or
1: 500,000 scale in which the vertical scale was highly exaggerated, to
tactical maps for coastal assault and airborne operations, these maps brought
landform to life and were invaluable in all the key aspects of military
planning and operational responsiveness.
Across Europe, there had been long interest in relief
maps and models. The Musée des plans-reliefs in Paris has a collection of one hundred models,
“portraits in relief ” of towns and their surrounding countryside which can be
used to illustrate the strategic implications of local landform.
Poland’s interwar mapmaking was of great
simplicity and clarity. Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny
(WIG) [The Military Geographic Institute] operated in Warsaw from 1921. The Institute was subordinate to
the Ministry of Military Affairs with the task of making astronomic, geodetic and topographic
measurements of the country and preparing precise topographic maps of Poland for
printing and publishing. Maps published by WIG were intended for the army, but thanks to their
clarity and versatility they were widely used.
Mapa Taktyczna Polski
1:100 000 [Tactical
Map of Poland 1:100,000] was a map on 482 sheets of which 437 sheets were made
by 1937 with a two-kilometre military grid
reference system. Later, during the war, maps were prepared by the National Army and the Geographic
Section of WIG in exile operating in
Edinburgh from 1941, covering the territory of Poland at 1:100,000, and
1:300,000, as well as plans of Polish cities
and maps at smaller scale.
materials registered in Polish bibliographies published in the years 1846–2008
as testimonies of their times
:Department of Cartography,National Library of
see pp 9-11, 23
In Germany around 1925, Karl Wenschow (1884-1947)
developed a procedure for creating shaded relief which now bears his name. A three dimensional model of the terrain is
carved with precision routers from a block of plaster. The model is then
obliquely illuminated and photographed from a distance of 40 to 50m using a
Wenschow model made of plaster
Britain already had a wartime tradition in military
relief model making. As Alastair Pearson
noted, the 1914-1918 conflict had seen around a thousand relief models made for
British forces. Work on models for the
Zeebrugge Raid in 1918 had shown the exceptional value of relief models in
coastal assault and defence, and in particular heralded their importance for
It was exactly this kind of action, to
support Commando operations in Norway in which Gubbins was involved, that led to
the formation of a terrain modelling unit under British command as early as
summer 1940. Soon the most pressing
problem was home defence from sea and air. The terrain of Scotland was closely studied to prepare for the
imminently expected invasion, thought likely to be launched from Norway.
Polish forces were deployed to defend Scotland’s east coast. You can read more about these Polish forces,
how they got here, and their deployment in Scotland here.
seasoned cavalryman and tank commander with combat experience of the recent
German invasions of Poland and France, General Maczek was a celebrated user of the
lie of the land in military strategy and tactics, and contour maps were his
stock-in-trade. Edinburgh was a key source of worldwide contour map
information and production, involving firms such as Bartholomew, Nelson and W
& A K Johnston. The Polish forces prepared for coastal defence, tried to
second-guess the invasion strategy and tactics, and moved to take up the most
effective positions from which they could respond quickly to an invasion of Scotland’s east coast, and later began to prepare
for the invasion of France.
Polish troops at Peebles
Hydro Creating coastal
defences Polish Hospital,
In parallel with Polish troop deployments to
protect Scottish coasts,
Lt-General Bernard Law Montgomery, who had been highly effective
in the defence of Belgium and evacuation of Dunkirk, took over key sections of
coastal defence in the south of England: Hampshire and Dorset in July 1940,
Kent in April 1941, and a full South Eastern Command overseeing the defence of Kent,
Sussex and Surrey in December 1941. During this time Montgomery developed and rehearsed his ideas and
trained his soldiers, culminating in Exercise Tiger, May
19-30 1942, a
combined forces exercise involving 100,000 troops (not to be confused with SHAEF’s
ill-fated Exercise Tiger in 1944) .
Montgomery is believed to have visited Peeblesshire
during 1942, perhaps to help inaugurate an element of training at the Polish Staff College. It
appears to have been before preparing for his new tasks in North Africa at El Alamein in August of that year. Maczek’s battle experience in distracting the
advance of German tank columns was at that time unique among the allied
commanders, and should have been of great interest to Montgomery.
Captain Zbigniew Mieczkowski of General
Maczek’s First Armoured Division attended the Staff College at Black Barony for training promising
officers for higher rank. He confirms
that General Maczek was involved and frequently to be found there but probably
not in residence because his duties took him all over the place. Maps and mapping were fundamental to the
Maczek and Montgomery
Naturally Maczek and Montgomery, each
concerned with repelling a combined operations coastal invasion in the dark
days between 1940 and 1942, would each be well prepared to plan for the
converse offensive role planned for the Allied landings in Europe as D-Day approached.
Priorwood, Melrose was Maczek’s base in the
months before D Day. Planning maps and models moved with Staff from place to
Montgomery came to Scotland to visit General Maczek’s First Armoured
Division again in the build up to Operation Overlord at the beginning of March
1944 and was much impressed with what he saw of its fighting strength. He used this knowledge to outbid Polish
Commander-in-Chief Sosnkowski who was reluctant to commit reserves to Overlord
wholeheartedly. If Montgomery could not have Maczek’s Division in full
strength he threatened he would not involve the Poles in Normandy at all.
A working arrangement was quickly found.
Within a month of the first Normandy landings in June 1944, a million allied
troops had been brought ashore, along with vast quantities of war materiel,
stores and provisions. To support the Polish forces as they swept into Normandy
and across Europe a young Pole, Jan S Tomasik, former builder and son of a
Kraków circuit judge, was enormously occupied in the duties of the
quartermasters department and closely linked with his US and British
counterparts. His would be able to put this experience in obtaining supplies
and maintaining reserves to good use in business after the war.
Image courtesy of the Tomasik family
Jan S Tomasik directs building operations
near Kraków before Poland is overrun
But first General Maczek was to put his military
experience to decisive use after the D-Day landings when the Allies and their
Axis foes had become locked in a stalemate around Caen.
Taking a commanding position at Hill 262, Maczek’s Polish forces broke
the deadlock and prevented Axis regrouping, bottling up and destroying German
fighting units and equipment at the Falaise Gap. By 22 August, all German forces west of the
Allied lines were dead or in captivity. Historians differ in their estimates of
German losses in the pocket. Most state
that between 80,000 and 100,000 troops were caught in the encirclement of which
10,000–15,000 were killed, 40,000–50,000 taken prisoner, and 20,000–50,000
escaped. In the northern sector alone,
German material losses included 344 tanks, self-propelled guns and other light
armoured vehicles as well as 2,447 soft-skinned vehicles and 252 guns abandoned
or destroyed. In the fighting around Hill 262, German losses totalled 2,000
killed and 5,000 taken prisoner, in addition to 55 tanks, 44 guns and 152 other
armoured vehicles. The once-powerful 12th SS Panzer Division had lost 94% of
its armour, nearly all of its artillery, and 70% of its vehicles. Mustering
close to 20,000 men and 150 tanks before the Normandy campaign, after Falaise it was reduced to
300 men and 10 tanks.
Danesfield House at Medmenham in
Buckinghamshire became the location of the main secret modelmaking workshops.
relief map-models were produced
with the terrain often enhanced with photographic layers. Model makers worked
around the clock,
seven days a week, with eight or
twelve hour shifts. Their work was top secret, highly demanding, and to tight
The Normandy campaign had been very carefully planned
using an enormous relief model of Normandy and the whole of Northern France which was secretly assembled in London at Montgomery’s old school, St Pauls Hammersmith. After a dry run on April 7
1944 to describe
the invasion plan –Operation Overlord- to the senior commanders most closely
concerned, a full dress presentation using the relief map was given on May 15
with Eisenhower, Churchill, King George IV, Chiefs of
Staff, Corps Commanders and civil servants. It was astonishing to see such
vital secrets displayed to so many people in such a vivid way.
Part of a rubber terrain model of Utah beach prepared by Allied
modelmakers and now installed at the Library of Congress
Individual Overlord landing areas are known
to have had their own individual rubber models which were used in the
field. Typically these models showed the
details of relief and tide lines, the slope of the beach, buildings, and
locations of the anti-landing craft systems known as hedgehogs. Surviving models of wartime days are now
treasured exhibits, although few now remain.
The appeal of models for the public was already proving intense. Even before the events in Normandy were unfolding, military models had become
a major public attraction across the Atlantic. At the Museum of Modern Art in New York, between the months of January and March
1944, Norman Bel Geddes (father of actress Barbara) and his team displayed
their massive War
Maneuver Models Exhibition which the audience viewed from catwalks and
runways above. Bel Geddes had already
made a name for himself in futuristic city planning presentations and scale
models for General Motors and Life magazine, and his war work was to culminate
in modelling –and filming- Tokyo Bay for strategy tactics and training.
Visitors look down on the
future at the 1939 New York World’s Fair
example of Bel Geddes modelling
for city planning
relief models were lit and photographed from various angles and then marked up
for Life magazine.
In the New York exhibition from
January-March 1944 the public viewed these original war models from catwalks
Lighting the enormous
Geddes military model of Tokyo Bay to simulate time and
As war gave way to peace, the skills of the
modelmaker, photographer and illustrator would continue to be widely used in
filmmaking, magazines and exhibitions, as well as in long term civil and
Fanciful tartan relief map
of Scotland -with Hadrian’s Wall- in Michael Powell’s film I Know Where I’m Going
The film was shot in Gubbins
familiar childhood surroundings by Moy Castle on Mull. See
GUBBINS & IKWIG here
Tintin and Captain Haddock drop in
on a Great Polish Map? On a marché sur la Lune was published in
The Great Relief Map of Belgium opposite the Town Planning pavilions at the Brussels International Exposition
It was overhung by the
enormous concrete Fleche of Civil Engineering, from which was suspended a metal
high above the map’s
surface. This outdoor example was to
inspire construction of the Great Polish Map of Scotland.
Visitors can look at the
map from the raised edge, or from the bridge high above at the very top of this
which is itself
suspended from the massive concrete Flčche
du Génie Civil .
We know that one relief model was to be
inspirational to Jan S Tomasik: the presentation of Belgium at the Brussels Expo of 1958. After the war Tomasik –who never lost his
quartermaster’s passion for stockpiling foodstuffs and equipment- had become a
hotelkeeper at the ever-expanding Learmonth Hotel in Edinburgh’s West End. In 1967 he created a new multi-storey
International Hotel and petrol station at Craigleith beside the Leith North
Branch railway. It is now a Holiday Inn. In his hotel group as the years passed,
Tomasik was able to offer various roles to General Maczek, who at first had no
pension (one was later awarded by the town of Breda in the Netherlands which the Polish Forces had
liberated). In the early post-war years
the General is said to have served as a storeman at the Gifford Co-op. Now the General found himself as a barkeeper
and petrol pump attendant at various times.
Tomasik was well known as an ambassador on the tartan tourist scene,
visiting the USA in the kilt to drum up business. He also maintained close links with the
Polish Consulate in Edinburgh and was able to cross the iron curtain to Poland regularly to obtain labour and supplies by
extract of creative
commons image by Alan Findlay on Geograph
and Wikipedia websites Image courtesy
of the Tomasik family .
Suspension bridge across
the Forth under construction
1962 Jan S
Tomasik in 1965
The old staff college at Black Barony and
its 58 acre estate beside Eddleston station had been operated as a country
hotel for two decades after the war, but the Peebles railway closed in the
Beeching cuts of 1962 and the hotel became available a few years later. In the autumn of 1968 it was bought by Jan S.
Tomasik as a going concern (it had to operate as a business to fulfil previous
commitments). The railway was closed now, but the big old house had powerful
associations and the estate had storage space for Tomasik’s agricultural and
After running under the new regime for a
year, Black Barony closed for refurbishment in the autumn of 1969. It would be reborn as a hotel and as a home
for some of Tomasik’s extended family. A new dining room was created and a
series of new bathrooms reduced the need for hot water jugs and chamberpots.
The work on the hotel continued through 1970
with the installation of a lift and the tidying up of the gardens and
woods. By the spring of 1971 the revamped
Black Barony hotel was ready to reopen for business as part of the Learmonth
Hotels group. The third floor
refurbishment was not yet complete. The hotel was managed by Jan Tomasik’s
daughter Catherine and her husband Marek Raton.
Through the summer the hotel continued to cater for guests and for
special functions including weddings. The 79 year old General Maczek, Madame
Maczek and their daughter became regular summer visitors to the family
accommodation. The visits would continue
throughout the decade. Those who knew and respected the old General would line
up outside in respect as the Maczeks arrived and left.
In these years of the late 1960s and early
70s Poland was changing. A new effort to emphasise the permanence of Polish land and
culture was gathering strength as the Communist authorities struggled to hold
on to control in the face of popular unrest and the challenge of the
church. A key individual in this effort
to steady the ship and secure Poland’s long-term interest was the geographer Mieczysław Klimaszewski.
academic hero, glaciologist and geomorphologist Mieczysław Klimaszewski
- 27 November 1995) took part in Poland’s 1938 expedition to Spitzbergen in Norway’s Arctic
Mieczysław Klimaszewski rose to Professorship in
1949 and headed the Institute of Geography at the Jagellonian University from
1952. As head of the University from 1964 onwards
he became a vice-regal figure in his Rectorial ermine..
In June 1965 Klimaszewski
was elected to the Polish Council of State.
He helped organise the Polish Congress of Culture in Krakow in September 1966. By 1967 he had become deputy-president of Poland and chaired the Supreme
Council for the Polish Diaspora (Polonia), reaching
out to Polish communities around the world..
In March 1968 Klimaszewski
tries to soothe students demonstrating for greater academic freedom at the Jagellonian University.
As Poland’s deputy president
Klimaszewski joined the world’s crowned heads in Iran to celebrate the Shah’s 2500th anniversary
of Persian civilisation in
1971. Iran had been the main route
out of Russia for thousands of displaced
Poles in the second world war.
was chairman of the Tatra National park and in the 1970s began
work supervising a vast Atlas documenting all aspects of the natural and human
history of the region, including its potential for tourism. Kasimierz
Trafas would be placed in charge of the Atlas
project, drawing on academic and scientific support and experts from the
Military Mapping Institute, the body which had carried on its work in Edinburgh during the war.
In 1973 -after the 81-year-old General
Maczek and his family had spent another summer break in the hotel- Jan Tomasik
met Mieczysław Klimaszewski
at an autumn Polonia diaspora
congress in Poland. The
World Polonia Games –seen as Poland’s Commonwealth Games- were being planned
for Kraków the following year after a 40 year break since their inauguration in
Warsaw in 1934.
Tomasik and Klimaszewski started to discuss building the Great Map of
Scotland in Scotland.
The creation of a great relief map of Scotland in the open air beside his Black Barony
Hotel at Eddleston would be seen by Jan Tomasik as a tourist magnet. Klimaszewski’s
trusted geographers Kazimierz Trafas and Roman Wolniak were put in the picture.
Building the Map
In the summer of 1974 General Maczek and his family
spent their usual summer break at Black Barony and the young Polish geographers
made their first visit to Scotland.
After a tour of the country they began the project at Black Barony by
removing topsoil and marking the outline of the map. They began the task of cementing and building
up the map structure; after their return to Poland the process was continued by local labour
throughout autumn and winter.
It’s worth noting that when the Great Map
came to be built by Polish expertise and Polish labour in the mid seventies,
maps and relief models were still at the forefront of Government planning for Scotland. It
was a time of big ideas. The Scottish
Office moved early in 1975 to New St Andrews House, a purpose-built office
complex in the heart of central Edinburgh with a well equipped maps room at the very
heart of the building, serviced by a full complement of cartographic,
model-making and air-photo interpretation staff.
summer of 1975 saw the second visit of the Polish geographers to Scotland. Now
aged 83, General
Maczek and his family spent their usual summer break in the hotel. With the sale of the Learmonth Hotels, Black
Barony began to operate as an independent business. The third and final visit of the Polish
geographers was in 1976: the cement topography was finally completed over
previously laid cement and the finished map was painted with whitewash. General Maczek and his family spent their
usual summer break.
When the Polish geographers came to lay out
the Great Map of Scotland, the scale of 1:10000 and 5x vertical exaggeration
selected was in line with the standard adopted by the allied forces in World
War II Relief
models routinely adopted these standards to show general topography, main
roads, railways, towns, wooded areas and waterways for use in strategic
planning by General Staffs at Force or Army Group level. Pearson describes the standard on page 232 of
his paper. Incidentally, an excavator
(one of Jan S Tomasik’s collection of Massey Ferguson machines) can be seen in
the picture below.
two images from private sources.
At Black Barony the hotel’s
1940 putting green is the scene of the Great Map’s realization by Polish
geographers in 1975-6.
Cartographer K Trafas ponders
the map with R Wolniak.
Read the Great Map story from the
Polish geographers’ point of view here
Meanwhile huge logistical exercises were in
progress on Scotland’s Atlantic coast. In 1975 work began at Loch Kishorn on the
construction yard and dock for the production of oil platforms on the north
side of the loch. This lay at the end of a two mile stretch of road built to
provide access in just 12 days, and by 1977 over 3,000 people were working
here, housed in temporary accommodation on site and in two retired liners
moored in the loch: the Rangatira
and the Odysseus. The largest project involved the excavation
of a huge dry dock, in which was constructed the 600,000 tonne Ninian Central
Platform in 1978. Material was supplied by sea and when complete the platform
needed seven tugs to tow it to its operating position in the North Sea. The Ninian Central Platform still holds
the record as the largest moveable object ever created by man.
Ninian Central Platform under
construction at Kishorn: the largest moveable object ever created in human
After the last summer visit of the Polish
geographers in 1976, completion of the Great Map slowed down. Although there may have been ideas to add
Orkney and Shetland, this was never done.
General Maczek and his family continued to spend their summer break each
year in the hotel. The Great Map was to
be painted white with blue rivers and lochs and green forested areas. Roads were painted red and railways black, in
line with normal WW2 strategic mapping conventions. By 1978 the whitewash and cement had begun to
show signs of deterioration. In 1979 the
Great Map’s surrounding wall was finally completed and the previously-removed
earth was banked up outside it. The
concrete surface of the map was coated in plastic paste and overpainted in a
greyish hue. Forests were painted green, major cities outlined in light brown,
roads through cities and all major roads painted red, rivers and lakes blue.
Lakes and major rivers had water running through them supplied by gravity
through over 40 headwater distributors.
The traces of green and brown paints found on the map today were applied
in light refurbishments carried out much later.
In 1979 Catherine and Marek Raton stopped
working at Black Barony, and by 1981 the health of Jan Tomasik had slowed him
down. Jan S Tomasik senior retired in
1981 but Black Barony continued in the family.
His son, Jan S Tomasik junior, had been manager of the Learmonth’s
International Hotel in Edinburgh, general manager of Unicorn Leisure, including
the Glasgow Apollo, and part of the team running Radio Clyde.
of the Tomasik family
A white-haired General
Maczek and his daughter (in wheelchair) with some of the Tomasik family around
Coastal relief model for a
fictional oil terminal in the wave and water tank in Bill Forsyth’s film Local
In 1985 Black Barony closed but attempts to
reconstruct the hotel and the business were begun in 1986 by Jan S Tomasik
junior. In 1987 he proposed major new investment of Black Barony under the
Business Expansion Scheme. In this he was backed by Birmingham financiers Centreway, with loans from
bankers Hill Samuel & Co and Tennent Caledonian Breweries. Professional
advice included company solicitors Bird Semple Fyffe Ireland and architects Dick Peddie & McKay.
Morrison Construction were the managing contractors.
The prospectus for the share issue included the plan shown below and the words:
“ A feature of the gardens is a rare, if not
unique, relief map of Scotland with waterways.”
Joining Jan Tomasik junior in the
Directorship were Andrew Harvey of Lismor Records, Financial Director Norman
Quirk, formerly of Radio Clyde, and Brigadier Keith Hudson CBE, Director of the
British Institute of Innkeeping, a
former Director of the Army Catering Corps and its Commandant till 1985.
In the end, although Black Barony was
demolished internally and rebuilt, and some extensions made, the company was
unsuccessful in its aims and the association with the Tomasik family had ceased
by 1990. The hotel passed through
various hands, lost some of its estate, and was renamed the Barony Castle. It
became a training headquarters of the Scottish Ambulance Service and is still
used by the Service, although it now again functions as a hotel.
The Great Map continued to dominate the
South Lawn at the Barony. It was
mentioned here in The Sun newspaper in 1992.
Heather Lowrie reported: “James Paton isn’t kidding when he tells
guests they can see the whole of Scotland from the back of his hotel. The 157 ft long, 131 ft wide replica,
complete with hills and glens, has well and truly put the country on the
map. The massive scale relief model in
the grounds of the Barony Castle Hotel in Peeblesshire was originally built by
former owner Jan Tomasik. But when Jan
died the map fell into disrepair until businessman Sam Docherty moved in to
restore it to its former glory. The
masterpiece includes a 5 ft high model of Ben Nevis -- plus
a train running between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
James said: ‘Sam and his friends deserve the recognition for getting it
back in shape. It’s all made of old tin
cans, chicken wire and things, then covered in
cement. It even has rivers and
The Great Map had clearly been lightly
refurbished by the time of the newspaper article, possibly with a coat of pale
green paint. Not long afterwards the map
–complete with railway- was again spruced up by The Scottish Office so that it
could be filmed to illustrate the reorganisation of local government in
1995. Later when the Barony Castle had come into the hands of the Verde group,
later De Vere, there was a proposal of a further refurbishment, this time
supported by the Edinburgh-based mutual Scottish Widows Fund. The Fund then
became part of Lloyds TSB and the idea was abandoned. The current campaign for the restoration of
the Great Map and recognition of the wartime role of Polish Forces in Scotland began in 2008 with an exhibition in Penicuik Town
Hall. The voluntary restoration
group MapaScotland was formally constituted.
And in May 2010, on election night, the Great Map project was featured
with onsite interviews by Lisa Summers on BBC Scotland’s main evening news
The Great Map in April 2010
showing the erosion of Mull. some
green paint is still there, and older underlying heather brown.
Campaign secured Heritage Lottery funding for restoration, and listing by
Historic Scotland in September 2012 to recognise the Great Map’s contribution
to the nation’s built heritage. The Great Map was the subject of a debate in the Scottish
Parliament on 19 September 2012 led by Christine Grahame
MSP in which its unique importance was warmly commended as a symbol of
Poland’s long-standing connections with Scotland up to the present day and as a
focus for remembering the particular role of the Polish community in Scotland’s
protection during the second world war.
This RCHAMS crown copyright
image of the Map accompanied the official listing announcement
contact Mapa Scotland email@example.com
this page contact firstname.lastname@example.org
time, another place. The
constantly changing urban planning map of Shanghai
Eddleston Black Barony
-immediately before the fall of France and the hotel’s requisition for
Polish forces see website
and Maczek exhibition
Edinburgh in the 19th
Eskbridge near Penicuik
Kitty Fyffe’s postcards of 1903
Edinburgh: corner of Society (beside the
top of Chambers Street) around 1859
Penicuik Saturday Museum in the Town Hall and Jackson Street School:
A few of well
over 100 Penicuik Open House weekly displays arranged by Penicuik Community
Development Trust and its supporters to date
GLASGOW ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS’ IDEAS FOR PENICUIK
IMAGES OF THE 1936 BERLIN OLYMPICS
STORY OF THE
LOST GARDEN OF PENICUIK
THE LOST GARDEN
COWAN PAPER ADVERTISEMENTS OF 1944
DENNIS AND THE ESKBRIDGE BRICKWORKS
THE COWAN ARTISTS OF 1944
DEMOLITION OF VALLEYFIELD MILL IN 1980
75 YEARS OF THE SALTIRE SOCIETY IN SCOTLAND
PENICUIK’S CLYDESDALE BANK
PENICUIK INVESTORS IN RAILS ACROSS THE ROCKIES
FIFTY YEARS OF CUIKEN SCHOOL
CARNETHY HILL RACE
JACKSON STREET SCHOOL
Roslin & THE STORY OF BOVRIL
SALTIRE HOUSING EXHIBITION
THE FILMS OF ALFRED HITCHCOCK
SCOTLAND’S PLANNING LEGACY
MURIEL SPARK: Scottish by formation
childrens book illustration of GERMANO OVANI
Co-operators & the ideas of William King
AGNES CAMPBELL LADY ROSEBURN (1637-1716)
CHILDHOOD ALBUM OF SOE’s COLIN
OF ESKBRIDGE from Jim Neil’s collection
Penicuik’s Radburn estate from the 1960s
PENICUIK RAILWAY and its designer THOMAS
Penicuik’s Concorde Designer JAMES ARNOT HAMILTON
Photographer ALBERT WATSON
Carlops’ International City
Planner THOMAS ADAMS
GENERAL MACZEK & THE POLISH ROAD TO BREDA 1944
General MACZEK & the GREAT POLISH MAP of SCOTLAND
POLISH FORCES IN
SCOTLAND IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
MILESTONES IN THE CREATION OF THE GREAT POLISH MAP OF
Trust’s weekly CINEMA programme
100 most visited
KOSMOID & MAKERS webpages
most recently popular pictures and posters on these sites